Video door bells are like extra set of eyes and ears you need to protect your home from unwanted visitors. The beautiful thing about it is that you will always be able to tell who is at your door at any point in time – even when you’re away from home! The increasing rate of crime and general insecurity in the world today make doorbell cameras an essential device to have for the security and safety of your home. The security high-tech features the best doorbell cameras of today offer also make this devise very appealing to install in your home.
One of the top priorities of any homeowner or home dweller is the safety and security of his home. You are concerned about it just like everyone else. As a result, you seek ways to make your home as safe and as secure as much as possible. Installing video doorbell cameras on your doors is one powerful way to achieve this.
Our Top 3 Picks For Best Doorbell Cameras
Why we picked it
- Automatically sends an alert to your smartphone when a visitor rings the doorbell or motion is detected outside your door
- An embedded microphone and speakers for two-way audio lets you see, hear and speak to visitors from your phone, tablet and PC
- Able to connect with Amazon Alexa for voice control and to keep a tab on real-time footage of your home anytime, anywhere
Why we picked it
- Able to automatically store activities, recorded videos to your Skybell account for your review and sharing as desired
- The SkyBell app allows for multiple users, granting all family members access to control or answer the door
- Allows for Silence mode should you wish to enjoy some quiet peaceful moment in your home free of indoor doorbell sounds
Why we picked it
- Sends mobile alerts automatically when motion is detected or visitors ring the doorbell
- Has two-way audio system with noise cancellation to speak with visitors clearly
- Its ultra-low power technology design ensures its continued functionality for a long time and saves more energy when motion isn’t detected
5 Best Doorbell Cameras of 2019
- Ring Video Doorbell 2– Best Smart Doorbell Camera
- SkyBell Video Doorbell– Best Weatherproof
- SMONET Doorbell Camera– Best Overall Value
- ADT Doorbell Camera– Best Mobile Connectivity
- Nest Hello Video Doorbell– Best Audio Functionality
Key elements in Video doorbells to protect your home
a. Motion detection Capability–
Make sure the video doorbell cameras you’re contemplating buying must have the Passive Infrared (PIR) sensor. This allows for motion detection driven by infrared lights to see people or objects within view. The best video doorbells are designed to pair with mobile devices as well as the manufacturer’s app to make possible the sending of notifications when the need arises. Once the video doorbell sensor detects motion outside your door or someone presses the doorbell, the smart technology alerts you via the app with a mobile notification. This keeps you in the know to act accordingly. Some doorbells let you control the sensitivity of the PIR sensor to objects at your door. This regulates when and when not to receive notifications.
b. Easy installation with auto-theft awareness
Usually, Video doorbells are installed either of two ways: battery-operated or direct connection to your existing doorbell wiring system. In the the second option, little or no rewiring is actually needed. Whichever installation mode your video doorbell comes with, it should not be so easy to remove or pull out by a thief. Thankfully, most video doorbells are installed with an extra security screw to avoid tampering. If the doorbell incidentally gets tampered with or removed, most smart doorbells will automatically send a mobile notification to alert the user of the new status of his security device. Some smart doorbell camera providers offer a replacement for stolen ones without extra charge.
c. Night vision
This is a very important element in any video doorbell as most intrusion into homes occur in the night. Most video doorbell cameras are equipped with infrared lights to show who’s at the door at night. The Infrared lights in doorbell cameras usually show the person or object in black and white. It tries to project more light on the image in focus than relying on a porch or street light. As a safety tip, only go for video doorbells with night vision included so you can identify who’s at your door whether at night without having to guess.
d. Multi-user functionality
For a large family with members who can answer the door, the multi-user functionality a video doorbell has makes it possible for both parents and other family members to receive notifications and answer the video doorbell without extra charges. Most popular video doorbells send alerts to the other users who answer the doorbell on the family’s behalf. But if you are not comfortable with giving your kids access to control the doorbell using an app, other options include in-home control panels to view who’s at the door.
e. Video storage Recording
This is a key element as it helps you track the history of activities at your door even when you’re away from home. The only glitch here is that your doorbell’s day-to-day activity can take up a lot of storage space. Depending on the provider, two common options for storing your doorbell’s photos and videos are cloud storage or a memory card. Cloud storage options may involve a monthly payment plan while memory cards are a one-time purchase. You can replace your memory card when it is full or clear the data for re-use. The best option would be to go for a doorbell camera that features both storage options. The LaView Wireless Video Doorbell for example comes with a 16GB SD memory card and optional cloud storage plans.
f. Weather resistance
Weather conditions in most places are unpredictable. Weatherproof doorbell cameras with video are able to withstand the harshest of weather conditions. Such may include heavy rainfall, humidity, and extreme cold that may drop well below freezing point. Another extreme weather may be very high summer temperature that may exceed 100 degrees. To get real value for your money, you may want to double check to be sure that your video doorbell is weather proof. Some doorbell cameras are able to withstand -5 degrees and over 120 degrees of heat and still able to work well.
10 of The Best Doorbell Cameras of 2019
The ring video doorbell is fast growing in popularity as a powerful home security device of value to keep your home safe and secure. Its built-in technology features include a two-way audio, 1080p HD real-time video footage and motion-detected mobile alerts to keep you aware at all times of whoever is at your home’s doorway for whatever reason. This it does even when you are away from home.
- A built-in microphone and speaker Lets you speak conveniently with visitors from your smartphone
- Sends instant mobile alerts when the doorbell’s motion detector senses a visitor within range or a guest presses the doorbell
- Able to pair with Amazon’s Alexa for hands-free voice commands to see real-time video of who’s at the door
The SkyBell’s video doorbell is a highly rated weatherproof device that works with Alexa and Google Home Assistant for voice commands, easy control, and your convenience. With the SkyBell HD app, you will be able to see and speak to guests at your door using your smartphone. You can do this even when you are far away from home.
- Automatically keeps stock of your door’s activities including two-way voice and motion alerts
- Features a color HD night vision to clearly see who’s at your door, especially when it is dark
- High weather resistant, rain or sunny and able to function normally even in temperature between -40 and 140 degrees Fahrenheit
SMONET’s smart video doorbell adds to your home’s security while conveniently letting you see and speak to visitors outside your home through your smartphone. This smart doorbell comes with a two-way audio. It also automatically send mobile notifications to keep you in the know of who’s at your door – even when you’re away from home.
- Equipped with PIR motion sensor to quickly sense movement outside your door and automatically sends mobile alerts with the aid of the ToSee app
- Its wide angle 166-degree lens enables you to see everything within a reasonable range around your visitor’s position
- The ToSee app with the doorbell’s live 720p HD video lets you see who’s at your home in real-time through your smartphone
4. ADT Video Doorbell
This wireless video doorbell connects and monitors activities outside your home’s doorway, offering you real-time footage for your peace of mind. This video doorbell is great for outdoor settings and it is also weather resistant and have multiple brackets for easy mounting to any home structure. Its two-way audio with noise cancellation and clear 720p HD video lets you see and speak with visitors clearly.
- Sends alerts to your smartphone when someone is at your door using the ADT Pulse® mobile app
- Lets you see and speak clearly to guests on your smartphone by means of the two-way audio system enabled by the ADT Pulse® app
- Gives you a 180-degree view of whoever is at your door by means of its wide-view angle lens
The Nest Hello video doorbell works with a WiFi network. It has a built-in microphone and speaker that allow you to see and speak to visitors using your smartphone. This video doorbell has pre-recorded messages to share with visitors when you’re not able to immediately answer the door. Its two-way audio system allows you to welcome your loved ones home anytime, anywhere with the aid of the Nest mobile app. Another feature of this smart video doorbell includes the ability to detect familiar persons using the Familiar Face recognition technology.
- Comes with a 4:3 HD video to see clearly who’s at your door
- Uses motion and sound detection sensor to spot visitors
- Conveniently sends pre-recorded responses to visitors when away from home
This smart doorbell lets you answer the door wherever you are and to see and speak to visitors directly from your smartphone with the aid of the Zmodo’s app. Zmodo Smart video doorbell is equipped with motion detection sensor and alerts you with both a recorded video clip. You are also able to have personalized recorded greetings which visitors receive when you’re away from home.
- Built-in microphone and speaker to clearly hear door activity and speak with persons who visit your home
- Able to adjust the field viewing angle of the doorbell using the Zmodo app so as to see all angles that matter outside of your door
- Easy to set up and connect to Wifi using the free Zmodo app.
This smart doorbell cameras has dual installation options of both battery and hardwired. Whenever a visitor presses your doorbell, it gives a different ring tone from the over 50 sounds it comes with and at a volume of your choice. This is in addition to featuring the standard features of a smart video doorbell which include a two-way audio to hear and speak to visitors, night vision, motion detection and more.
- Two-way audio with noise cancellation technology which makes for clear communication with visitors without distracting background noises
- Comes with a PIR sensor to track motion outside of the door and sends alert to your smartphone using the xsh Cam app.
- Night-vision mode of infra red lighting allows you to see who’s at your door in the dark
This video doorbell uses the RCA Security All-For-One App to easily keep a watchful eye on your door whether you are at home or not. Its 3 mega-pixel ultra high-definition video captures 50% more detail than most other video doorbells with an inclusive 16GB micro SD card for recording. You are able to see, hear and talk to anyone at your door with a clear 2-way communication via the built-in speakers and microphone. The RCA automatically sends mobile alerts when motion is detected, keeping you in the know of whoever is at your door, even when you are away from home.
- 180-degree camera lens gives a tall and wide angle clear view of who or what’s at your door even from afar
- Comes with 16GB memory card for easy storage and review of hours of camera footage
- Built-in microphone and speaker allow for a clear two-way communicate with visitors at your door by means of the RCA Security All-For-One app
The August Doorbell Cam Pro boasts of smart tech and advanced monitoring features to protect your home 24/7. It features a hindSight video recording that lets you review a before, during, and after motion capturing moments at your door for your enhanced safety awareness.
- Full-color HD camera with built-in floodlight delivers clear footage of who’s at your door at night
- Comes with free video storage to easily review your doorbell recordings within 24 hours
- Works with Alexa for voice control and also the August Smart Locks allow you grant access to loved ones into your home, using your smartphone and the August app
The NETVUE Wi-Fi video doorbell uses a 185°horizontal and 120° vertical field of view lens to give you a full view of the front yard outside your door. By means of an app on your mobile device, you get notified when motion is detected outside your door. Its cloud storage allows you to review all activity when you log into your account to see the videos and photos footage of your doorbell.
- Two-way audio communication with visitors plus noise cancellation for a loud and clear chat experience
- The Netvue mobile app and the doorbell’s built-in infrared LED lights let you see real-time day and night video footage
- Easy to install and offers privacy protection security of all videos and photos captured
Video Doorbell FAQs
How does a video doorbell works? Answer A Video doorbell is a technological innovation to the traditional doorbell, which offers the user greater control and convenience while ensuring a safer and more secure home. The camera provider’s mobile app makes it possible for you to receive alert on your mobile device whenever someone rings the doorbell or motion is detected outside your door. Depending on the type of video doorbell you choose, you may be able to send a pre-recorded message, video chat or record your door’s activities for your review anytime. Most Video doorbells are also capable of being connected to other smart home devices for a convenient and pleasant smart home experience.
A Video doorbell is a technological innovation to the traditional doorbell, which offers the user greater control and convenience while ensuring a safer and more secure home. The camera provider’s mobile app makes it possible for you to receive alert on your mobile device whenever someone rings the doorbell or motion is detected outside your door. Depending on the type of video doorbell you choose, you may be able to send a pre-recorded message, video chat or record your door’s activities for your review anytime. Most Video doorbells are also capable of being connected to other smart home devices for a convenient and pleasant smart home experience.
What camera quality is best for a video doorbell? Answer Truth is, most video doorbell cameras come with superior quality. Afterall the major objective of any video doorbell camera is to let you have a better view of your doorway without having to squint through a peephole. Most of the popular video doorbells in the market today come with a 1080p high definition (HD) video for a clear view. Some feature a color HD infra red night vision for a clear sharp view of activities in the dark.
Truth is, most video doorbell cameras come with superior quality. Afterall the major objective of any video doorbell camera is to let you have a better view of your doorway without having to squint through a peephole. Most of the popular video doorbells in the market today come with a 1080p high definition (HD) video for a clear view. Some feature a color HD infra red night vision for a clear sharp view of activities in the dark.
What audio feature would you recommend for a video doorbell? Answer The best audio feature for a video doorbell is two-way audio system which combines an in-built speaker with a microphone to easily to chat with a visiting guest. Another important feature to watch out for is a video doorbell that has noise cancelling capability. A doorbell with this feature gives you a crisp and clear audio sound free of background noise such as wind, chirping birds, machinery sounds and others. You may want to invest in a video doorbell that boast of a two-way audio system with noise cancellation to enjoy a very clear chat with your guests.
The best audio feature for a video doorbell is two-way audio system which combines an in-built speaker with a microphone to easily to chat with a visiting guest. Another important feature to watch out for is a video doorbell that has noise cancelling capability. A doorbell with this feature gives you a crisp and clear audio sound free of background noise such as wind, chirping birds, machinery sounds and others. You may want to invest in a video doorbell that boast of a two-way audio system with noise cancellation to enjoy a very clear chat with your guests.
What field of view is best for a video doorbell? Answer The best field of view lens is the one that captures a wider range of both the horizontal and vertical view of your guests as well as their surroundings. If a visitor dropped a package at the foot of your door, a camera with a good vertical range should be able to show it for you to be sure if the package was actually dropped. If unknown persons approached your home, chances are you may want to see the car they drove and whether they came along with something or someone else who decides to wait in the car. For this reason, you may want to go for a doorbell with a lens that has a wide and long field of view. The best video doorbells often come with a lens of 160 degrees or higher for a best view.
The best field of view lens is the one that captures a wider range of both the horizontal and vertical view of your guests as well as their surroundings. If a visitor dropped a package at the foot of your door, a camera with a good vertical range should be able to show it for you to be sure if the package was actually dropped. If unknown persons approached your home, chances are you may want to see the car they drove and whether they came along with something or someone else who decides to wait in the car. For this reason, you may want to go for a doorbell with a lens that has a wide and long field of view. The best video doorbells often come with a lens of 160 degrees or higher for a best view.
The Benefits of having a Video Doorbell Camera
Video doorbells are becoming a must have security device for many homeowners in all parts of the world. While most doors feature peepholes which show a birds eye view of what’s outside your door, a video doorbell camera’s usefulness far exceeds what a peephole can deliver. The ultimate objective of a video doorbell is to enhance your home safety by letting you see your visitors before they get a chance to gain access to your home. The best doorbell cameras come in different shades which include the design, tech capability, audio quality and mobile app features. Whatever feature or type of video doorbell that works best for you, the following are a few common advantages or benefits of having this important device installed in your home.
- Better convenient outside views. You don’t have to squint through the peephole anymore, asking who’s there at the door outside. A doorbell camera allows you to look and see who’s at your door by means of an app on your mobile device. And this is possible whether you are at home or not. You may also be able to record the activity at your door or simply snap a photo of it for your review anytime.You can do this if you do not want to immediately attend to a ring on your door.
- Boosts your home security. The built-in cameras and microphones on your video doorbells are the extra eyes and ears outside your door that keep you in the know of who visited your home and when. If you add this to a few simple extra security measures around your home, your safety and security will be greatly enhanced. What is more? You will also have peace of mind knowing who was at your home’s doorway whenever you’re away or at night.
- Makes your home smarter. Today’s advancing technology is making homes become smarter, allowing you to have more control than was earlier possible. Most doorbell cameras are able to connect with other smart home devices such as Alexa or smart locks. This allows you to conveniently control how things work in and around your home through an app, voice commands, or built-in control panel for ease of operation.
No matter where you live, there are numerous ways to enhance the security and safety of your home. Having a video doorbell camera on your doors is one sure way to do this. Another way is to install outdoor security cameras around your home. Feel free to browse the web for top video doorbells. To see which one may work best for your family and home, check out our researchers top picks to get you started.