In this new age of advanced technology, the world is becoming smarter by the day. People are falling in love with home smart gadgets to automate most house chores. There is compelling desire on the part of people and organizations to automate and make things become “Smarter”. The drive for artificial intelligence is taking the tech world by storm. Today, We have smart cars, smart phones, smart watches, and even smart houses!
Talking about smart houses, this should prick our interest as everyone needs some help to get things done quickly around the home.
For you to have a healthy and balanced work- life experience, the time at home is precious and should be well utilized. This is where home smart gadgets come into play. Home smart gadgets are not only fun to have around, they automate and help expedite home processes, saving you valuable time and money, allowing you to focus on those moments that are closer to your heart.
Our Top 3 Picks For Home Smart Gadgets
Why we picked it:
- A Built-in Zigbee all-in-one smart hub that easily connects to other smart home devices without the need to buy another hub
- Works with Amazon’s smart assistant, Alexa, to connect and control other smart home gadgets hands-free with over 50,000 voice commands capability
- comes with seven built-in microphones and 360-degree audio for a filtered clear sound from all angles
Why we picked it:
- Certified by ENERGY-STAR to control your home’s temperature and able to create a schedule for your thermostat according to your needs
- Able to detect when you’re away by means of your smartphone and thermostat sensors and automatically reduces the temperature. This saves energy using Eco-Temperature
- Uses the Nest app and your smartphone to control the thermostat when you’re away
Why we picked it:
- The doorbell automatically gets you alerted on your smartphone when a visitor rings the doorbell
- It comes with a microphone and speakers for two-way audio to see and speak with visitors when you’re away from home
- Able to connect with Amazon Alexa to get real-time footage of happenings around your home anytime
5 Best Home Automation Systems Worth Considering
- Amazon Echo Plus – Best Smart Speaker
- Nest Learning Thermostat – Best Energy-Saving Thermostat
- Ring Video Doorbell 2 – Best Home Security Device
- Amazon Echo Dot – Best Smart Home Hub
- Kasa Smart Plug – Best Smart Functionality
Key Factors to look out for when building your smart home
Power outages Frequency
In areas that suffer frequent power outages, having a back up power system is a must for you to have an uninterrupted smart home experience. As a guide, it is advisable for all to have some form of alternative source of power when your desire truly is to have a home with smart gadgets. These smart gadgets rely on regular power supply and internet connectivity to work smoothly.
The good thing is, most smart home devices are able to still work normally as the manufacturers have factored in the possibility of power outages in building them. But in the event that your smart home gadgets do not come with a backup battery, seek help on how to get some add-ons. Some other manual power backup options will enable you enjoy a seamless synchronisation of a truly functional smart home.
The security of the Network
The electronic features in your smart devices rely heavily on a continued network connection in order to function properly. As such, You’ll need a secure internet connection to safely store your gadget’s data, information and to be able to control your home.
For your smart devices to work properly, your network connection must also be reliable and strong enough to support your home’s day-to-day activities such as the operations of cellphones, tablets, PCs, gaming consoles etc. Consider setting up a special home network system or smart home hub. This makes it safe, easy and more fun to use in managing your smart home devices.
The real objective of creating smart home devices is to provide the user a measure of convenience, ease and efficiency in the way things are done around the home. When building a smart home hub after you’ve determined the smart devices to acquire, do well to consider if they are compatible with one another. Check if they work seamlessly with other gadgets you have within the home.
It helps to ask a few quick questions before buying smart home devices. Find out whether what you want to buy will easily connect to other smart electronics in your home. For example, your TV, your home theater, your lighting etc. Is it easy to use? Does the device save you time and money? Does it have a back-up battery?
Truth is, out there there are a lot of options to choose from, your objective is to get a good deal or the best bargain that will save you both time and money and ultimately satisfy your need.
Reviews of 15 Best Home Smart Gadgets for 2019
This is Amazon’s Alexa, the famous smart home assistant many people cannot do without in their homes. Amazon’s Echo Plus serves as a smart speaker and hub and is able to connect to multiple smart home devices for better convenience, control and smart home experience. The popular smart home assistant, Alexa, is built to respond to over 50,000 voice commands, making everyday home tasks easy, hands-free and fun.
- Uses premium speakers with 360 degree audio and seven built-in microphones and noise cancellation to listen and respond to voice commands clearly
- Able to control the lights, thermostat, and other connected smart home gadgets with the Echo’s built-in Zigbee smart home hub
- Echo’s Drop functionality enables you to create your own home intercom to chat easily with family members in other rooms
The Nest Learning Thermostat is one of the most popular smart home electronics available in the market. It is equipped with six Nest Temperature Sensors per thermostat which allows for remote control of the temperature in each of your rooms. Interestingly, you are able to control the temperature of your home when even far way from home, using your smartphone and the Nest mobile app.
- Able to control each room’s temperature using the Nest Temperature Sensor with the aid of the thermostat or the Nest mobile app
- Automatically regulates or reduces the temperature when not at home
- Saves energy by using Bluetooth Low Energy to control the thermostat
This electronic doorbell is gaining popularity with its built-in smart technology to keep your home safe and secure. This smart doorbell is designed with a two-way audio to allow speaking to visitors. It also comes with a 1080p HD real-time video recording and it’s able to send motion-detected mobile alerts, keeping you aware of whoever is at your door anytime even when you’re away from home.
- Automatically Sends mobile notifications to alert you of the presence of a visitor within the doorbell sensor’s range
- The built-in camera, microphone and speaker enables you to see and speak with visitors from your smartphone
- Able to Pair with Amazon’s Alexa for hands -free voice commands and to see real-time videos on your smartphone
The Amazon’s Echo Dot is an amazing one-stop gadget for building a smart home automation system. This smart device serves as a hub for other countless home devices that range from thermostats, security systems to home entertainment systems. All these are synchronized to function smoothly with hands-free voice commands.
Entertain yourself with this smart hub to connect and bring all your smart home devices under one umbrella of convenient voice command and control.
- Able to connect other Bluetooth speakers for a cool home sound control experience
- Enjoy music from streaming services, simply with a voice command
- Get things done conveniently in the home with this Amazon’s smart assistant with over 50,000 skills
The Kasa smart plug allows you to remotely control your electrical appliances from anywhere in the home using the kasa mobile app or smart assistant voice commands. Each of the smart plugs in your room can as well be assigned a different name during set up. This allows you to easily manage and control your power outlets and the amount of power you use in the home, saving you some electricity bill.
- Smart, compact design which allows for 2 smart plugs to be used in the same power outlet without hitches
- Able to pair smoothly with Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa’s voice commands to switch plugs on and off in any room
- Able to schedule the Kasa Smart Plug to automatically turn on or off using voice commands or the Kasa mobile app
This robotic vacuum cleans while adapting itself to different types of floor such as hardwood , tile or carpet floors keeping these free from dust and dirt effortlessly. This home automation vacuum floor cleaner works in three stages and uses wall-following technology to clean around furniture, wall edges and tight corners.
- A Simple, one-touch button sets it off to start cleaning your floor autonomously
- Knows when to dock automatically to the home station to recharge
- Cliff-detecting functionality helps it to clean stairways without tumbling over
The Phillips hue smart light bulbs comes in a pair per pack. This smart bulbs can be conveniently controlled hands-free as they work with Amazon’s Alexa for voice control. You can easily dim the lights, set a timer, or manage your morning and night lighting settings using your smartphone or smart assistant.
- Controls white light shades when connected with the Philips Hue Bridge
- Able to respond to voice commands in controlling light settings and timers
- Easily interconnects with other smart home automation gadgets to create a remote-controlled cool home lighting system
This air purifier is able to clear up to 99.97 percent of dust and dirt particles from the air removing particles as small as 0.03 microns. To achieve this, It cleans the home’s air in four stages achieving a coverage as large as 190 square feet. It displays air quality using a color-coded lighting system, then automatically adjusts fan speed in real-time to achieve clean air. The purifier has a smart air quality checker that automatically detects when the air needed to be cleaned for your comfort, convenience and safety.
- Automatically keeps your home purified, doing so in four stages to achieve air free from mold, odor such as cooking smells, dust and dirt particles.
- Comes with a filter reset indicator to automatically alert you of the need to change the carbon or air filter
- Built-in fan with low, medium and high speed settings to keep rooms cool, blowing refreshing clean air to your health
This August smart lock automatically unlocks your door at your approach without the need to fumble for keys in your bag or pocket. It works with Alexa and is able to connect to other smart devices with the aid of the August Smart Lock. This battery operated and easy to install smart lock simply attaches to your existing deadbolt on the inside of your door as an added security smart lock while you still keep your original keys.
- Able to pair with smart assistants utilizing voice control or commands to lock and unlock your door
- Includes a timed lock feature that automatically locks your door for you should you forget to do so for your security and peace of mind
- The August mobile app allows you to review the digital log of visitors entry into your home and their exits while loved ones enjoy key-free access from you
The Sonos Hi-Fi speaker uses the power of Alexa’s hands-free technology to conveniently entertain everyone in your home with good music from different streaming services. This smart, small but mighty speaker lets off an unbelievable rich room filling sound throughout the home. You will be able to have complete control of music sound in your home through the Sonos app or Alexa using your mobile device.
- Able to pair with the Amazon Echo to manage music, news, and other commands using voice control
- Plays over 30 streaming services including music from Amazon, Apple and Spotify
- Connects multiple Sonos speakers surround sound, allowing for an interconnected sound system that fills your home with rich synchronized music sound
11. ADT Pulse
If you opt for ADT’s premium security system, you will be able to get a 24/7, 365 days professional monitoring services that utilizes the industries cutting-edge technology. The ADT smart Pulse home security system enables you to remotely control many smart home devices with the aid of ADT Pulse® mobile app and the hands-free technology provided by Alexa.
- Allows remote management of your home security system using your mobile device to disable and arm your home with the assistance of the mobile app
- ADT Pulse® is able to connect to your smart locks and security cameras, giving you a safe and secure smart home
- Affords you a chance to review your home’s activities in the past few hours, days or month using the ADT Pulse® app so as not to miss important moments when away from home.
This robotic automower smartly maneuvers around your yard and neatly mows grass that may even be up to 2.4 inches tall. It also knows when to dock at its station for a battery recharge. Its sensors allows it to instantly detects close corners and narrow paths determining how best to cut these areas without damaging the mower. This battery powered and fumes-free device is quiet enough to work even at night without disturbing neighbors and can work under the rain or shine.
- The Automower Connect app on your mobile device allows you to start or stop your mower quickly using Alexa’s voice command or Google Home device Control
- Built-in LED lights and quiet sound makes it ideal for work even at night
- Comes with a 2-year limited warranty for residential use
The Anova precision cooker offers you the experience of the power of smart technology in cooking your meals hands-free by using a pot, water and a sealed bag. The ingredients in your meal blends perfectly resulting in an evenly cooked, moist and well retained flavored dish. This easy to clean and dishwasher safe cooker can be controlled using a one-touch button or remotely with smart devices, giving you a chance to escape from the kitchen while you cook.
- Able to start cooking even when you’re not home by using the precision cooker’s Wi-Fi and the Anova mobile app
- You are able to know the status of your meal through notifications sent to your mobile device
- You are able to control food cooking preference and timer, even when you are not in the kitchen
14. Samsung Smart TV
This Samsung smart TV comes with an Ambient Mode that blends perfectly with your decor, giving your home a cool feel of a movie theatre. To reduce connection hassles, the TV uses a One Connect Box for easier installation and connection from the box instead of direct connection from the TV. It is equipped with Bixby voice, which allows for a quick search and play of your favorite show without having to flip through channels with your remote.
- The smart TV Quantum Dots and a billion shades give you brighter picture quality and thus allows you see movies and shows better than before
- The TV Uses a Q Engine processor to show movies and shows in 4K, utilizing over 8 million pixels to give you a superb viewing experience
- Equipped with Q Smart technology which allows for voice commands or the use of the Samsung SmartThings mobile app to control the TV
This smart remote control is able to work with Alexa’s voice command to control up to 15 connected home entertainment devices without hitches. You could turn of the air or power on the lights using this touchscreen remote irrespective of your location in the home. When you Include the Harmony Hub, it lets you control devices in closed cabinets, or even when away from home
- Able to control over 15 connected smart electronics throughout the home
- Even when it’s out of reach, you are able to control the Harmony remote with the aid of the mobile app
- Easily controls devices within reach, and uses the Harmony Hub to control the ones behind closed cabinet doors
Best Features to Look Out For in a Smart Home Device
Inter-connectivity – For your convenience and ease of control of your home electronic system, your Smart devices should connect easily to your other home automation gadgets with ease. When you buy, check to see that the devices are compatible with others to make the most of your smart home gadgets. For example, there are many smart locks that pair with doorbells and security cameras. This will make for ease of control and convenience.
Remote Access – The ability to control the smart devices in your home with ease from anywhere whether inside or away from home is one feature that makes home automation system very interesting. Most smart home devices such as the thermostat, door lock and others have mobile Apps that allow the user to control the home gadgets from outside the home. A Nest Thermostat for example, allows you to set the home’s temperature while you are away using the Nest mobile app. When you shop for smart devices, you might want to choose the ones that have mobile applications that support remote access.
Video Commands – Using Voice assistants such as Amazon’s Alexa or Siri, you will be able to control your home’s electronics without lifting a finger. The best smart home gadgets should be able to allow you control your home devices hands-free. For example, you could cook dinner while checking the weather or calling for a particular type of music to listen to, or switch on the TV- all of this done conveniently with just a voice command.
Energy Saver – The best smart home devices save you money on electric bill especially while you are away from home. Most smart home gadgets default to ‘power-saving’ mode when it detects that you are away from the home or when the device is not being used. devices with multiple charging options may be great as energy savers.
Smart Home Device FAQs
How do home automation devices really work? The smart electronics in your home connect to a Wi-Fi network, Bluetooth or a hub which uses radio-activated Z-wave systems. as soon as all the connected devices are synced, you are able to conveniently control all the smart gadgets in your home by means of the product’s mobile app, voice commands, or some other handy features. For example, a hub like the Amazon Echo, allows you to connect multiple devices that can be controlled under one smart home gadget with many options that makes possible quick, easy and convenient control.
The smart electronics in your home connect to a Wi-Fi network, Bluetooth or a hub which uses radio-activated Z-wave systems. as soon as all the connected devices are synced, you are able to conveniently control all the smart gadgets in your home by means of the product’s mobile app, voice commands, or some other handy features. For example, a hub like the Amazon Echo, allows you to connect multiple devices that can be controlled under one smart home gadget with many options that makes possible quick, easy and convenient control.
How easy is it to maintain a smart home automation system? Answer The allure to have a fully operational smart home automation system can be very high especially when you read about or experience the ease, convenience and comfort it affords. As tempting as this may be, it is recommended however that you look for simple solutions especially when you are just starting off or you want to automate a simple process. You may consider starting with a smart speaker or a smart assistant. You may also want to find out if the device supports an update so it can be upgraded with the latest technology to serve you well many years from now.
The allure to have a fully operational smart home automation system can be very high especially when you read about or experience the ease, convenience and comfort it affords. As tempting as this may be, it is recommended however that you look for simple solutions especially when you are just starting off or you want to automate a simple process. You may consider starting with a smart speaker or a smart assistant. You may also want to find out if the device supports an update so it can be upgraded with the latest technology to serve you well many years from now.
What is a smart home device hub? Do I need one? Answer A smart home device hub is like an umbrella under which many smart home devices can be controlled from one point or one system. A smart home device hub allows for the connection of all your smart home automation devices for easy use and control from one system. For a smart device hub to work, you will need to connect it to your Wi-Fi network or Bluetooth, and use the same connection to pair to your smart home gadgets. A smart hub helps you achieve a true smart home. You will thus have no need to control multiple mobile apps-unless you are ok with that. But please before you decide on getting a smart hub for your home, you may want to double check to make sure you don’t already own one. If you have Amazon’s Echo for example, you may not need another hub as it serves as a smart hub for all your home gadgets, saving you time and money.
A smart home device hub is like an umbrella under which many smart home devices can be controlled from one point or one system. A smart home device hub allows for the connection of all your smart home automation devices for easy use and control from one system. For a smart device hub to work, you will need to connect it to your Wi-Fi network or Bluetooth, and use the same connection to pair to your smart home gadgets.
A smart hub helps you achieve a true smart home. You will thus have no need to control multiple mobile apps-unless you are ok with that. But please before you decide on getting a smart hub for your home, you may want to double check to make sure you don’t already own one. If you have Amazon’s Echo for example, you may not need another hub as it serves as a smart hub for all your home gadgets, saving you time and money.
The 3Cs Benefits of Home Automation Systems
What is one major benefit of having a smart home system? the appeal to get things done conveniently and quickly around the home. Daily pressures of living around the world are on the rise. To gain seconds or minutes can make a big difference in the day. A smart device comes to your aid to handle duties that would have otherwise engaged your time. What a welcome relief that can be!
For example, imagine a smart vacuum doing a thorough job of mopping and scrubbing your floors clean for you! This frees you from being bogged down with so many chores. What a pleasant division of labour that would be! This saves you time and energy for those moments you cherish so much. A smart home can also be entertaining and fun, improving your overall outlook and health as well.
Home automation system gives you peace of mind even when you are not at home. It puts you in complete charge of your home even when away. The mobile Apps integration with your home smart gadgets is great. It puts you in charge as it allows you to be in touch with goings on in your home. Smart devices mobile apps let you see who is at your door, or allows you to even start a dinner. You could manipulate your entire home automation system with ease. Having a home automation system therefore surely gives peace of mind.
The initial cost of setting up a home automation system may seem costly. However, the rewards over time will be well worth it. Most smart electronic gadgets conserve energy efficiently to reduce bill totals. Some smart home devices also qualify for home tax credits as well. This eventually lowers your total cost of maintenance over time. Not to mention the immeasurable time, and personal energy you save with the assistance of your automation devices.