Today, programmable smart thermostats that regulate and monitor home temperature are fast replacing old manual ones in many homes. The factors to consider when searching for the best thermostat to buy include its features, its energy savings capacity and its ease of installation.
Our Top 3 Picks From Among the Best Smart Thermostats
Why we picked it:
- Able to learn your schedule and automatically adjusts the temperature for you
- Easily controlled by smartphone, tablet, laptop or desktop computer when connected to WiFi
- Saves on energy usage thus helps to reduce your power bills
Why we picked it:
- Smart sensors enable it detect hot and cold spots and adjust the home temperature based on occupancy
- Built-in Amazon Alexa enables you control it with voice commands
- Able to see how much energy you’re conserving
Why we picked it:
- Comes with easily readable, large text and a back-lit touchscreen
- Smart Response Technology allows for heating and cooling adjustments
- Able to Create a 7-day schedule by programming temperatures to suit your need
Consider The Best Smart Thermostats of 2019
- Best Energy Savings Thermostat – Nest Learning Thermostat
- The Best for Room Temperature Control – ecobee4 Smart Thermostat
- Ease of Use Best – Honeywell Programmable Thermostat
- Best for Customized Schedules – Emerson Sensi Wi-Fi Thermostat
- Best Smart Phone Pairing Functionality – Mysa Smart Thermostat
Factors to look out for when Buying a smart thermostat
What smart features does the Thermostat have?
Smart thermostats are designed and equipped with many different capabilities. Some thermostats come with features that would allow you to create a schedule, study your habits and even keep a tab on the amount of energy you use. Other features may include granting you remote access by app, geofencing, weather reports updates and room sensing. The objective of these features is to provide you with greater comfort and convenience in your everyday home routine.
How easy is it to install a smart thermostat?
Two options are open to you if you want to install your smart thermostat: Do it Yourself (DIY) installation, or enlist the services of a professional to install your system for you? To help you decide, you may want to find out if Consumer Reports show that the device is relatively easy to install and can be done by self or requires the expertise of a professional to install.
Can Your Smart Thermostat Save You Energy Cost?
Yes, most of them do. One major incentive or attraction that some smart home gadgets offer is their capacity to help homeowners cut down on their energy use, thereby saving on electricity bill. As a guide, search for a device that will monitor your settings and generate a report that allows you to see how much energy you’re consuming and eventually, are able to save.
Talking About Being Smart: What Actually Are Smart Thermostats?
Smart as it is being used for thermostats and other new innovative home devices refers to their enhanced technological capabilities to capture information or data and process it to perform more human tasks. The smart thermostats come with a lot more capabilities than their digital and manual counterparts. How are they able to seamlessly perform these more human tasks? you may ask.
Smart thermostats like some other smart devices have built-in algorithms that enables them perform more tasks. These devices are equipped with intelligent sensors. These sensors capture information from users and the environment and then make decisions based on data received.
With that, a smart thermostat is not just able to regulate the temperature in your home, but is able to detect when you’re away or at home. it can as well study and know your behaviors and temperature preferences, read the weather and much more.
How much does it cost to have a smart thermostat?
As you probably have guessed, Smart thermostats cost more than the average ones as it is true with any other enhanced technological device. That being true, you will however find that the convenience and energy savings they afford makes having a smart thermostat in your home worth it. You would have good return on your investment.
Expect to pay upwards of $200 or more for the technological enhancements of smart thermostats as against paying less than $70 for the general, manual thermostats devoid of advanced technological perks.
What are home temperature monitoring devices?
There are home temperature monitoring devices that help maintain the climate in specific areas of your home. Places like the basement, the garage, wine cellar or the attic. Once the temperature exceeds or falls below their original settings, an alarm will go off to warn you of the change in condition. Today, quite a number of families are switching to the use of smart thermostats instead of continuing with the use of traditional temperature monitoring devices in their homes.
People are moving with advancing technology to enjoy greater comfort and convenience. A large number of people are opting for smart thermostats that keep track of the home’s climate with little human input. Some smart thermostats such as the Nest Learning Thermostat, is able to sense even the humidity in your home and automatically adjust as necessary. The traditional home temperature monitoring devices do not have this capability.
Reviews of 10 Best Smart Thermostats of 2019
This energy efficient smart device is designed to help you easily monitor and regulate your home temperature. The Nest Learning Thermostat is a smart gadget that learns your schedule and temperature preferences and automatically adjust the temperature for you. It also shuts itself down when it detects that you are not at home in order to conserve your energy consumption.
- Easy installation in as little as half an hour
- Controls half your energy bill
- WiFi connectivity allows remote control, and to work with Amazon Alexa for voice commands
The ecobee4 Smart Thermostat is advanced both in design and functionality. This thermostat responds to voice commands through its built-in Amazon Alexa. This device helps homeowners save up to 23% annually on heating or cooling costs. with its smart sensors, it is able to detect hot and cold spots in the home and adjust the temperature based on occupancy for consistent comfort throughout your home.
- Detects hot and cold spots and adjust the temperature based on occupancy
- Easy installation guide helps you set it up in just about 30 minutes
- hands-free control by voice with built-in Amazon Alexa
The Honeywell 7-Day Touchscreen Programmable Thermostat is another great choice for homeowners. It accurately reads and controls the home temperature for your convenience. This thermostat conveniently allows you to achieve a 7-Day temperature programming with 4 periods per day. It thus allows you to create a comfortable home environment all through the week as desired. Its large backlit touchscreen displays easy-to-read text, and shows current room temperature and set points.
- Easy to read backlit touchscreen
- Allows 7-day scheduling for your convenience
- Heating and cooling are automatically regulated with Smart Response Technology
Regarded as Best value product, Best Smart Thermostat on Amazon for three consecutive years, the Emerson Sensi Wi-Fi Thermostat allows you to program it to suit your schedule. It can be controlled using your smartphone, tablet or computer. This ENERGY STAR certified smart device helps you to save on energy cost. Its accurate temperature regulating allows you to maintain a comfortable home environment.
- Allows you to program your own heating and cooling schedules remotely by smartphone, tablet or computer
- Easy installation in 30 minutes or less with a step by step guide
- Compatible with most smart digital assistants like Amazon Alexa, Google Home and more
The Mysa Smart Thermostat comes with a simple, but stylish design. This Smart Thermostat is designed for Electric Baseboard Heaters and gives you the freedom to control your home’s temperature with your smartphone even when away. The thermostat allows you switch to vacation Mode when you’re away from home to save on your energy consumption.
- Able to control your home temperature from anywhere with your smartphone
- Allows you to program different temperature preferences for your home through scheduling
- works with Amazon Alexa and other digital assistants
It comfortably regulates your home temperature and program temperature preferences for up to 6 periods each day. You can set this up with the Ditra Heat Touchscreen. This thermostat is also equipped with a floor temperature sensor and allows you to monitor your energy consumption as well.
- Comes with a setup wizard to guide you through the installation
- Allows up to 6 programmable periods for each day
- Monitors and allows you keep track of your energy consumption
With its elegant modern design with large display and warm backlit that features an easy-to-use interface, the Orbit Clear Comfort Programmable Thermostat is another great choice for homeowners. Apart from allowing you to program your settings for up to 7 days, it also recommends certain settings to help you save on you energy use. It also has an early-start feature to ensure your comfort in your home.
- Able to program a 7-day schedule with up to 4 programming periods for your comfort
- Able to conveniently copy and paste schedules to save you re-entering information each time
- One-stage thermostat that works with gas, oil or electric furnaces, central air conditioners, central heating and cooling systems, and more without auxiliary/backup heat.
With this SunTouch Command Touchscreen Programmable Thermostat, you will be able to create your own color scheme that matches your decor. Featuring a brilliant touch screen and help display, the sunTouch thermostat allows you create your own 7-day temperature schedule for your comfort.
It comes with a setup wizard to get you started and running. You will find an option for controlling the heating and cooling of your home.
- Programmable 7-day schedule allows you enjoy different temperature options in your home
- Simple but Stylish 3.5 inch touch display with multiple color schemes as desired
- Get you started easily with the setup wizard and help screens
This 7-day programmable Dual-Voltage Thermostat has a high-resolution touchscreen that allows for easy control of any electric floor heating system. Its easy to use setup wizard guides you through the basic setup process. This thermostat is not only able to keep track of your energy consumption but it also helps reduce your energy cost as well.
- Able to create a 7-day schedule for your convenience and comfort
- High resolution touchscreen navigation and setup wizard help to get you started
- keeps track of your energy consumption to help you stay up to date on energy usage
10. ADT Smart Thermostat
The ADT smart Thermostat makes the control of temperature in your home very easy and convenient. With the aid of the ADT app, you are able to schedule the temperature in your home as desired by simply using your smartphone.
You can easily read temperature on the device even in the dark with the built-in backlight display. You may note however that ADT’s Smart Thermostat may require professional installation for a hitch free set-up, incorporating your existing HVAC system.
- Its Z-wave smart hubs compatibility allows it to connect easily to other home automation gadgets
- Built to Work with standard HVAC systems and heat pumps
- Allows customizable alert settings to warn you whenever your home becomes too warm or too cold
The benefits of having smart thermostats in your home
How does having smart thermostats in your home benefit you? Truth is, in this modern age of advanced technology for smart home devices, the comfort, convenience and over-all return on investment such devices afford homeowners make the buying of these products a really smart choice.
Consider some of the benefits that top our list:
- Ensuring you have a comfortable home environment
- Energy saving capability benefit (especially for the forgetful)
- The convenience of remote control access through your smartphone, tablet or computer
- Temperatures Programming capability for an optimal home climate condition
- Maintain an optimal home climate even while you’re away on vacation
- Generating energy reports for you to help you save on your power bill
Choose the best smart thermostat that suits your home
No doubt, you have seen that you have a lot to gain installing this smart device in your home. You will also be gradually making your home compliant with modern advanced technology for smart homes.
We have shown you our top 10 picks. You have seen our reasons for picking them. You no doubt have also noticed the features that make them tick. We’re sure you’ll find the best one that will meet your needs. We encourage you to go through them again and have your pick. Should you need more options, feel free to check out these top rated smart thermostats on Amazon.